Monday, July 8, 2013

Three Things I Love About Con Air




 1. Steve Buscemi as Garland Greene. From his dramatic entrance, to his few spoken words, to him belting out "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" while crash landing on the Vegas Strip, I loved "The Marietta Mangler." The skinny little killer that all the other cons were afraid of.


   He even takes time out to have a little tea party:

   
   One thing that consistently bothers me about reviews of this movie is that most of them refer to Garland Greene as a pedophile/murderer, and that is not the case. Murderer? Yes. Pedophile? I don't think so. He is never described as such, and considering the little tea party girl is both waving enthusiastically and even gave him her Ken doll to boot, it's safe to say he had his tea like a gentleman before going on his merry way.

Love the mask

 2. Poe's horrendous Southern accent, and greasy/crunchy mullet. As a born and bred Southerner, I have heard all manner of accents, from barely there, to a drawling lilt, to "Holy shit, was that even English?" I'm not sure how to classify the accent that Nic Cage apparently went to Alabama to learn.  I do wonder if Alabamans are embarrassed by this. Anyone?

   And the mullet. Look at it:


   Now, look at it in motion:

Action Mullet!

   I have an odd love affair with the mullet, and I get a strange little niggle of happiness whenever I see one, be it in a movie or on the street. Poe's receding hairline mullet is one of my favourites, in all of its disgustingly greasy, yet flyaway, glory. 


 3. That damn bunny. 





 Bonus: John Malkovich as Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom. Again, I site my penchant for psychos.

Yeah.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment